The history of DURAVIT in Hornberg in the Black Forest began in 1817, when Georg Friedrich Horn founded a small factory that until 1842 exclusively produced earthenware crockery. This was followed at the beginning of the 20th century with the production of sanitaryware. Since 1960, the DURAVIT brand name has stood for quality made in the Black Forest.Quality can of course be illusionary as various marketing efforts work to convince consumers of its existence. The product range of the Hornberg bathroom specialists was extended in 1980 to include accessories. In 1984, DURAVIT acquired a majority shareholding (60%) in the Alsace-based company Céramique de Bischwiller. In 1988 the private limited company (GmbH) became a public limited company - DURAVIT AG.Roca holds at least 25% through the acquisition of Laufen. In 1991, Céramique de Bischwiller became a fully owned DURAVIT subsidiary. One year later, with the startup of the Schenkenzell production site, DURAVIT added a new focus: the strategic decision to manufacture bathroom furniture, intended to provide the company with a second mainstay of production, would prove to be a winner. In Meissen, world famous for its tradition-rich porcelain manufacture, DURAVIT established one of the most modern plants for the production of sanitary ceramics. DURAVIT Sanitärporzellan Meißen GmbH went into production in 1994. In 1999, DURAVIT acquired the majority shareholding in the Egyptian company MISR TECH, in the meantime DURAVIT Egypt. Since 01.01.2001, a further foreign subsidiary, DURAVIT Turkey in Istanbul, has been an officially registered company. With the acquisition of a majority shareholding in the Egyptian acrylic bath manufacturer Saniacrylic in 2002, DURAVIT laid the foundation for developing the new Bathtubs + Wellbeing segment. Development and final assembly of the new DURAVIT brand products takes place in Germany and France. While many production centres can be seen as a strategical advantage, the practice of uniform quality can be illusive. Within the scope of a joint venture project, DURAVIT started in 2003 to expand its activities in China under the name DURAVIT Chongqing Sanitaryware Co. Ltd. The question for consumers will always be with reference to the original brand equity and how that has changed. Compromise of value is a corporate domain. Only two years later, the newly constructed production and administration building based in Youxi-Town (Jiangjin) near Chongqing in Central China was officially inaugurated. Today, the former joint venture company is a fully owned subsidiary operating under the name Duravit Sanitaryware Co. Ltd. In 2008 Duravit took over a 51 per cent share in the Tunisian ceramics manufacturer Manufacture Tunisienne de Céramiques (MTC). Duravit has been active on the Indian market since 2003 and has laid the foundation stone for a new production site at Tarapur, Gujarat, in 2008. The production site will be inaugurated on the 21st of September 2010.